Chargers and Charging

Right, so why not just pair it with something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077N592WJ/

Or similarly find a 1000W DC power supply like:

I might buy two of the 500 watt 24V ones like you linked. I would have got the 24V setup in the first place had I known that my chargers would have a lower output with 12V. They are advertised as having 9-32V input but they fail to mention that the maximum charge rate can only be achieved with higher volt inputs. I’m sure other brand chargers are the same way so something to keep in mind.

I think I will still be able to charge in about 2 hrs as is instead of 1 hr like I had planned.

For 2 x 6s 22000mAh lipo batteries you would need something like this to charge in 1-2 hours:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hyperion-Super-Duo3-Balance-charger-w-Max-amps-24V-DC-power-supply-1150W-47A-/132554079381

Good chargers measure as well the battery and cell to cell resistance… So you knew that there is no bad cell
in your 6s pack and your battery is healthy.
Charger 01

Can someone please confirm that Lipo charger settings can be used to charge 18650 battery packs? From what I understand they are the same thing.

So this charger, the HTRC H825AC DUO 1200W 25A does not mention Li-ion, can it be used to charge 18650 battery packs?

Yeah, that looks like it should do the trick. Nice find, i think I’ll order the same one. That’s higher power than many I’ve seen, which is awesome.

I contacted HTRC about the HTRC H825AC charger. First they said it would charge 18650’s, then they said it wouldn’t, so not sure now. The question is…can we charge 18650 Li-ion with the Lipo settings? They seems to be the same thing. To quote Battery University…

With gelled electrolyte added, what is the difference between a normal Li ion and Li ion polymer? As far as the user is concerned, lithium polymer is essentially the same as lithium-ion. Both systems use identical cathode and anode material and contain a similar amount of electrolyte.

Charge and discharge characteristics of Li-polymer are identical to other Li-ion systems and do not require a dedicated charger. Safety issues are also similar in that protection circuits are needed. Gas buildup during charge can cause some prismatic and pouch cells to swell, and equipment manufacturers must make allowances for expansion. Li-polymer in a foil package may be less durable than Li-ion in the cylindrical package.

And this…

I’ve bought and downloaded the ebook “DIY Lithium Ion Battery Packs” from Micah Toll, who also has a couple of great youtube videos online under his username “EbikeSchool.com” - he’s also part of vruzend.com who supply these easy 18650 battery cap system.

from that book I know that the 18650 cells have indeed vent holes on the positive pole on top. So they would not swell, whereas pouch cells may (the bonka and multistar batteries are pouch cells).

Since I will probably be spending close to a thousand euros for 18650 batteries, a spot welder and a charger, I thought the 8 Euro investment for the ebook is a good one. And having read so far more than half of the book, I can confirm that it is :slight_smile:

I just read further in the above mentioned book, and one charger that the author recommends is the “Cycle Satiator” Charger - a bit pricy, but very versatile and usable for any Cell Chemistry and a high range of charging voltages.

here’s a video: Cycle Satiator Programmable Battery Charger - YouTube

1 Like

eGrin is the guru of ebike tech

I am quite happy with my iSDT T6 Light chargers. They are 600 watts each and can charge at 25 amps. I heard lots of good reviews and the price was good too. I bought four of them on eBay for 75 dollars each. They have a DC input so I also bought four 24v 600w PSU’s at 40 dollars each. So, I can charge 4 batteries at a time (but not from the same circuit because that would be 2400 watts).

I stuck two PSU’s together back to back and wired them to one wall plug:

5 Likes

Can confirm I’m using the HTRC H825AC DUO and it’s awesome!

1 Like

Where did you order the HTRC charger? Whenever I look for them it seems like I can’t get it in the US.

I have a HobbyTown near me. Is there something they carry that would be suitable?

I ordered the HTRC HT700 DUO from aliexpress and had no issues getting it in the US. Have you looked at ordering from here? HTRC 1200W Dual Port Batterie Drone Balance Ladegerät High Power H825AC DUO 25A 1 8s Lipo/lihv Für Rc Landwirtschaft Spritzen UAV|balance charger|lipo 1-8sbattery balancer - AliExpress

For mobile you might consider the Drok.

12 vdc input
Up 100 vdc out with CC CV regulated.

1 Like

Dang those Tattu’s are expensive !
I got pricing of 115 US for some 22AH 22.2 lipo with the balance board - so 3 for the price of one when I factory shipping.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/China-manufacturer-22000mah-22-2V-30C_60775263631.html?spm=a2700.galleryofferlist.normalList.181.2b36715fYjtTLg

Cheers

Hi
Interesting on that short charging

• but what about the total power used over the life - short charging you are not getting the same power out of each cycle - In other words you dont get something for nothing. Lower charge more cycles - more cycles less power.
    Cheers

I am liking the specs and reviews on the EV-Peak chargers
I am going to roll the dice on the CQ3 - If it works out I will order another

Amazon.ca

Good Youtube review

Cheers

Hi E-pusher, have you used those batteries yet (the ones in the link)? Just want to know your experience, good or bad.
Thanks,

I just ordered them , approx 20 days before i get them.
I purchased 8 - I am estimating 190US per bat with duties(using BorderBuddy) straight to me here in Ontario.
The one thing it did not have and I insisted on was the BMS’s. And the rep was saying he did not know that, was it the same as PCB? They confirmed that they had to add them.
The advertise 1-499 70$ per unit but then came back with 125$ per as I was ordering less then 100. If I ordered 100 then 115$. My 8 are being ordered as a “sample”
Big gamble on my part I know!
I do have there trade insurance if something goes wrong but have to make claim within 30 days
Until have them and test them I can not recommend them.

Cheers, Patrick

Wow, that’s a bit more than the advertised $70! I’ll be interested to hear your experience. $190 per battery is approaching the Bonka battery level. Are the Bonka batteries reliable/good quality? At least the ones you bought have a BMS protection circuit unlike the Bonkas. Cycle life is the main question. Also the weight they quoted is obviously incorrect (over 300 Wh/kg).
Jonathan