Busted prop during takeoff at the beach

I had a few instances when props broke off in midair with the X4 for various reasons. Once I destroyed the 4 props all at once - it took less than two seconds. Another time, I lost a prop as the shaft broke off because a piece of the cage took a hike during takeoff, etc… I mostly replaced bottom props because of the beach sand blasting them and eventually splitting them. In most cases it took place during takeoff.

1 Like

It’s not likely that the bottom two ESCs would have stopped unless they both became disconnected. The fact that they both work now tells me they were likely still spinning. The one dangling by the wires probably didn’t send any vibration through the frame. Where you only have a few seconds of feeling what normal feels like it’s understandable that you didn’t notice the vibration from the other prop or the decrease in power. Again, it’s good you decided to land.

The dent on the motor is only on the part that doesn’t spin so it might be ok but where is it rubbing and what is making the sound. In the video it looks like it is rubbing against the gooseneck bar. If it’s only stiff because of debris you may be able to blow it out with compressed air. Is the outer spinning shell rubbing against the part that is dented? Does it feel balanced when it spins? When you turn it by hand does it “cogg” in even increments? If two of the phases are shorted the increments will not feel right.

Hi Paul…
not rubbing on gooseneck… optical illusion!
I’ve ordered a can of compressed air.
I’ve uploaded 2 photos showing the dent… I am thinking if the outer casing is bulging out in one area then it is probably dented inwards somewhere else and this is where its rubbing… With use, it might become free-er? but I wonder if the tiny iron fillings would be a hazard? otherwise how easy is it to open up the motor? Apart from the grunching sound, it does seem to be “balanced” when spinning and doesn’t seem to be wobbling. It doesn’t “cogg” like the other 3 motors because of the stiffness. Like its constantly rubbing somewhere.

Whatever the sound and stiffness is caused by it will at the very least be also generating heat as well as noise when spinning. Might be flyable but that motor will be drawing more power than the other three. Hope much more?? Is the esc at risk under full load?

It might just be rubbing on the outer shell and if that’s the case you could take it apart and file it. The dust on the arm looks like aluminum dust which supports my theory. I would be more concerned if the magnets were rubbing against the stators though. You can remove the screws and pull the motor apart but the magnetic force is really strong so it’s quite difficult to pull apart. I’ve done that so I know how hard it is. Make sure to pull it straight off because the clearance between the magnets and stators are really tight.

Thanks. I will try to take a look in the next few days when I have time. Any tips on removing the standoffs in the mount? They just rotate and I need a way of holding them still while unscrewing the loc-tighted bolts…

Just tapped the motor with a hammer and its ok now!! it was just catching on the rim. I also prised it off the rim slightly with a blade. It spins freely now when turning by hand……
Just awaiting reply from Paul or Zach. I cannot fix it until I have a replacement CF mounting plate.

3 Likes