Beginner Battery Recommendations

Woah, awesome. Thanks Paul!

Yeah. Great job. The final product looks very cool. I am trying to get the bonka batteries before buying the openppg. I live in the Canary Islands (Spain) and here I have more problems to bring batteries. Can you tell us where you buy them? Thanks Paul.

Is all the wiring there to hook up 8 batteries? What is the number of batteries limited to with the included wiring? If I need to purchase anything else (connectors, cables, etc.) to increase the number of batteries to the absolute max, it would be awesome if you could provide a link to exactly what to purchase. I’m not at all afraid of heaviness, and would like to test how many batteries I can get hooked up. Thank you!

2 Likes

Slightly noisyer than I expected but… Great!
The arming procedure and hand throttle generally looks good. Still blown away by the weight and packed size. How long does it take to open and a fix the cage? It’s all just soooo good!
(Though If my old CFI saw you without a helmet and no speedbar connected he’d fine you the price of a beer!)

I bought 4 of the Multistar 16000mah 6s 10c Lipo packs, and also 8 of the 12000mah packs. Should I be concerned that those 12000mah packs won’t put out enough amps, especially if I only use 2 for a short ride? I’m hoping to be able to mount all 8 of the 12000mah packs at the same time. Is this going to be possible using the connectors provided with the OpenPPG kit?

You need at least 4 of the 16000mAh or at least 6 of the 12000mAh.

@Pdwhite how many connectors ship with OpenPPG by default?

It ships with 4 xt150 running to the main power.

Can I pay you to add more during the kit assembly process? Or do you know of a ready-made connector which would allow me to hook 2 of those 12000mah Multistar packs in parallel to the 4 xt150 connectors that come stock on the OpenPPG (for a total of 8 battery packs)? (If not, I’m assuming there must be a tutorial somewhere which demonstrates how to create that sort of required xt150 wiring harness, a parts list, etc. I imagine that must be a fairly common situation…). If it needs to be made DIY, I’d much rather pay someone to do it.

Could we have a wiring diagram so we can see how this all fits together? It may become clearer as to what battery combos we could put together and what fittings are required.

A dedicated section/wiki on the electrics would be a huge help.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi anyone know if there is a Bonka battery dealer in the uk?..or an idea where they can be purchased online…having trouble locating said batteries
Dave

We do buy groups from Bonka every now and then, so if you want shoot me a private message with your address and how many batteries you want and I’ll see what the cost is including shipping

Paul,
Wondering how you are attaching the 2" strap to the frame? This pic doesn’t show how and the slots in the frame are only 1" wide.

Thats because there is no 2 in strap attache there just Velcro.

Paul,
I sent you a private message email regarding the Bonka batteries. Please take a look at it and let me know your response. Thanks.

Bill

Ok…so what am I missing? 2" strap of velcro around all the batteries…how are you keeping them attached to the frame?

I used strips of 2" wide self adhesive Velcro and attached it to the center plate. I got them at Home Depot. I had to cut out the sections where the holes for the prop tips were located. I also use 1" straps of Velcro to go through the slots in the plate and further secure the battery in place. By the I’ve done this, it’s real solid and doesn’t budge. I tie off the wires from getting near the props with smaller, about 1/4" Velcro strips, the kind used for cable organizers.

Since everybody seems to be attaching batteries differently, we should post detailed pictures and video of the different setups, including battery attachment to the frame and battery power connections configurations (series vs parallel).

There is too much ambiguity on this topic, especially for battery noobs such as myself

@pdwhite should at least post the “official” configuration. Also battery charging tutorial.

1 Like

@dpack great suggestions. I also wish there was more clear info on battery atrachment and connection configuration.

Hey Guys. I’ve just come off the back of a year long efoil project. I have gone through every permutation of battery setup and finally settled on a 12S12P 18650 2KW pack. I’m brand new on this forum and also brand new to paragliding so I don’t know what amperage you guys are pulling. My efoil pack is good for 120Amps continuous, is that sufficient? I prefer to avoid lipos at all cost, they have never fared well in any of the projects I have undertaken. Such a wealth of information to take in on this new project so I thought I’d start with a subject I’m familiar with.

Ok, so disregard all I just wrote. Classic newbie post! I now have all the answers to my questions by searching the forum for similar posts. My apologies.