Beginner Battery Recommendations

Hi Guys, I’m new to EV for the most part. What do I need to make batteries happy in my home. Can someone recommend a charger? Will one charger charge multiple batteries?

Anything I might not be thinking about?

Thanks!

Can I add to this thread and ask, as someone who doesn’t have much experience with electrical systems: Given that it looks like there are folks all over the world who are into this project, and shipping batteries is a bit tricky, what are the important specs we need to look for when buying the battery packs? Is there anything we should avoid?

Right now Paul is using 4 of these batteries.

I’ve used these chargers for years and they work great for charging two batteries at a time.

I charge my batteries in a BatSafe safe charging box to preclude fire and smoke damage in the event of an improperly charged battery.

1 Like

I love the enthusiasm for this project and the passion it sparks, but feel compelled to write this after seeing some pretty basic battery questions.

If you are not completely, 100% across Lipo Battery technology. (Building a pack, charging it safely and The Golden Lipo Rules) This project may not be for you. Yet…

Strapping this much Lipo to yourself and taking flight is serious FUCKING business!! (for emphasis).
Equally as serious as flight training

Search ‘Lipo Basics’ and settle in for a couple of hours
Spend $30 and buy some small, cheap batteries and do a mock up of your flight pack. Get your solder on. Make your mistakes with this one before destroying a huge pack
Understand capacity, C rating, cell voltages and your well on your way.
Get some help from a hobby shop if needed.

And remember - Carbon is conductive and has sharp edges.

3 Likes

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

Would you consider this a good overview?

1 Like

The batteries in the link are not currently available. Do you have any other recommendations? I need guidance about everything which should be purchased (charger, AC power supply, batter box, etc). I’ve got 12 years experience in PPG, tandem certified for 8 years, but no experience with electric motor tech. I just purchased in batch 2, and then found out I’ve got 30 days to learn all about Lipo (I know enough to put together an agm battery system from scratch in my camper, but nothing about Lipo).

Edit: I wonder if I should just use an AGM battery - I don’t know how heavy a battery I would need, but I’m used to flying a Fresh Breeze Monster (and I’ve had the 5 gallon tank for it too), so it wouldn’t be such a big deal for me if the whole unit, with battery, is somewhere around 70-80ish lbs, or even a little more (I’m used to carrying the Fresh Breeze tandem rig and running with a passenger, along with carrying that Monster rig).

Yes. A good article. Continue reading as well until you can identify a battery combination (within your price range) that can supply up to 300 Amps (figure quoted by PDwhite as max current draw)
Hint- C rating x Capacity. There’s a lot of combinations out there that will do it depending on your $$

For example: https://www.wholesalesolar.com/cms/upg-ub-121000-agm-battery-specs-753736796.pdf

I’ve set up a few of those model batteries in off grid solar configurations (not sure if they provide enough amperage for the PPG motors). That would be within a carry-able weight range for me.

@NickAntonaccio So lead acid is really reliable and safe, but too heavy for our purposes. The batteries I linked above are available from other vendors, just search “Multistar 6s 16000mah”.

Thanks for the link!

Do I need 4 of these batteries? What about other cables, connectors, etc? Also, I didn’t find the linked charger available - any other recommendations (models to specifically not buy, etc.)?

BTW, the difference in this battery is 4S, as opposed to 6S in the original model above - still 16000mah capacity and 10C. Is that ok?

Oh, yeah you’re right, okay I updated the link. (Note: Each LiPo cell is around 3.7 volts, so a 6S, or 6 cell battery is usually around 6*3.7=22.2 volts.)

You shouldn’t need anything electronic besides the batteries and chargers. On the store page it says it includes “All the necessary wiring, connectors, voltage regulators, and nuts and bolts you need to get flying (everything you need to fly except batteries, harness, and wing)”. And yes you’ll want 4 of these batteries, and eventually might decide you want 8.

As for chargers this looks like a good one. Charge two batteries at once, has all of the sensing and regulation, and you can even mount it on the BatSafe Boxes I linked above if you want to be safe while charging.

Thanks for all the help. This duo charger also looks correct to me, for a much lower price:

https://www.amazon.com/Crazepony-UP120AC-Balance-Charger-Battery/dp/B01DF4CCAI

Am I missing anything with that one?

Yeah that one looks solid.

Great, thank you so much for your input. Bought all the required batteries, chargers, safety box, etc. Can’t wait to put this machine through the paces!

Sweet! Let us know how it goes!

This is what batteries I currently use either one will work. http://www.bonkapower.com/a/Multicopter/20150825/11.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/multistar-high-capacity-6s-16000mah-multi-rotor-lipo-pack.html

The Bonka 22000mah 25c are nice because they can put out a lot of currents (they say 550A per battery and a burst of 1100A) but you should never need that much power but it is nice because your batteries never even get warm and you can run just two of them for a super lightweight setup. There a bit more expensive but they’re worth it ( also i have a spot for better prices on those because most places charge a lot)

If you take a look at hobbyking every once in awhile they have their on sale in regular cycles.

2 Likes

@Pdwhite, How many of those batteries do you recommend using as a standard set up on the “pre-assembled” units?

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but you mentioned in your video the idea of carrying less batteries for a quick 20min flight, or loading more for a longer flight, but I wasn’t sure how many we’re actually talking about in each instance?

Hi Paul, you say you often run just two of these bonka batteries, ok great. Do they fit inside the bottom of the frame and get zip tied on? Can we see a photo?