Battery Connectors (Bonka and OpenPPG)

Those questions were answered but perhaps I can help. Do you have a pre-built unit? Was it built by OpenPPG? Is it batch 3 or batch 4? Does it have one switch or two?

1 Like

Thanks! Prebuilt by openppg batch 4 with 1 switch

For 2 Bonkas connect them in series by connecting the red of one battery to the black of the other battery. Then the other red from the battery to either red on the motor and the other black from the battery to either black on the motor. The remaining wires can just be left hanging or repeat to add the other 2 Bonkas.

2 Likes

Paul you’d make a great teacher. Your responses are always clean cut and direct.

2 Likes

Thank you! That’s very kind! :slight_smile:

I thought I had read somewhere that these kits would ship with 2 switches now, but my batch 4 only came with one. With the higher voltage and lower amps has it been decided that 1 switch is good now?

Yes, that’s correct

1 Like

Hi everyone!
I am facing a problem connecting my batteries. The xt150 connectors do not plug in…
On the battery side, black into red is OK, but on the openPPG, no battery connector fits into either the same colored plug, due to the metal part that seem to be exactly the same diameter/shape nor in the opposite color connector due to the plastic part wich is the same diameter as the one from the opposite color battery connector.
I attached a picture to help understand.
My question is: how do you battery connector look like? Do a red female plug into a red female from another diameter or is the plastic from another diameter but the Male plug fits into a female metal part?
Thank you for your help and advice

The metal connectors are swapped on your batteries. The black should be female with the large diameter plastic and the red should be male with the small diameter plastic. Here is my battery:

Thank you for your reply! I hoped to avoid soldering…no luck for me. That’s what you get ordering from Chinese vendors. They say xt150 but don’t deliver completely.

Is there a non destructive way to remove that plastic part? I am not sure if I should try harder to push it back to access the wire/connector solder point or if it is a one time only click of the plastic cover.
Thank you anyway for your help and your quick reply!
Greetings from France

Here’s what I do: Make sure to work on one connector at a time to prevent short circuit. Cut the wire close to the connector. Press the connector out of the plastic sleeve from the back (wire end). I use my drill press with an old bit installed backward as an arbor press. The plastic sleeve can now be reused. Unsolder the old wire and the connector can be reused too. You need a high power solder iron to solder wire that big.

1 Like

Hi everyone!
I did folow your advise and instuctions, and re-soldered all of my batteries, and having finished my official PPG rating (needed in France) , I got them all charged, and was testing the setup before hopefully my first flight, but things did not turn up the way I expected them to…
I tryed connecting only 2 bateries, just for a test to see if I would finally got the thing running, but as soon as I turned the general contact on, I heared a “PCB-burning-noise” and turned it off imediately again, but a smoke odor was coming from the insides of the beast…
A few screws further I discovered this (see picture)

So 1) I’d realy like to know what I did wrong, do you have any idea?
2) I’d need a new PCB… not something I find online on the shop… ><
3)Any advise…?

This is quite a big disapointment for me… I hope to be able to get a new pcb and finally get it flying, but for that I need first to understand in order not to re-do the same mistake(if any?).

Now I am testing the “discharge function” of my chargers… not something I hoped to use this soon… Then I’ll be able to use the store function… For my info, I charged “slowly” I guess, with 1, then 2 amps, do you use more amps to charge to get it faster? how many A’s do you use?
I wish you all good and safe flights!

You should be able to order a new PCB from @zjwhitehead. They just don’t put everything in the store.

Did you build the unit? Is the PCB hooked up to a BEC? It should have come already connected to one. What’s the voltage of the BEC set at?

Hi and thank’s for the info, I contacted him.

It is a pre-build unit, out of the box, no changes made from me, On the BMS connector, there is something soldered, not visible on my pic, but definitely something. Could be the BEC you’re talking about? It is wraped in black tape, there are two big condensators that were on it I remember. Anyway I have no idea if I can set any voltage anywhere… I understand I can make firmware changes/updates using the micro-sd slot, and I would love to try your mod’ for the cruise control, but I have no idea about voltage setting modifications… :-/ one good reason I ordered a pre-build, but maybe I did not investigate enough…?
Thank you anyway for your help… the videos you post help me keep faith that I’ll bring it to fly someday… It is just taking much longer than anticipated…

Have nice and safe flights !

Just to close the loop on the hub damage here, we are chatting privately to see what the cause of the failure was and I’m working to make sure he can get back in the air ASAP.

Not sure about cruise control right now but maybe someone can chime in on where to find that code as I’m interested as well.