Batch 3.5 Arrival with 160kv motors!

Very excited will post pics as I build!

6 Likes

Some progress.

5 Likes

I better hurry up or your will pass me and I started way before you!!
I like the green :wink:
Cheers

1 Like

Here’s some more pics! The loop was difficult to install, some of my tubing ends were collapsed in so I had to try and bend them to shape and sand down the loop connectors to make it fit well. I also had to cut the two bottom loop tubes as they were too long. Also had to drill out two rivets for the red mesh wire because they were installed too close to the ends, hitting the loop connectors so I will need to get some rivets and install further up the loop.

2 Likes

Those bright green prints look great!

2 Likes

Here’s how i’m doing the ESC wire connections. Took me a while to figure out best way, I started out using bullet connectors but found they would get caught on hinges when you open and close frame so went with directly soldering the 8awg wires to the esc wires. I bought copper wire from home depot to wrap around the connections, this makes a very strong bond and easier to solder wires together. Make sure you use lots of heat, I used tinning flux to allow the solder to flow into wire strands better, otherwise its very difficult to get enough heat on wires for the solder to flow into the strands.

3 Likes

That’s how I soldered mine too except I wrapped it with small bundles of the multi strand wire. I love that technique because it’s mechanically strong before you even add solder. And it looks really nice after covering with heat shrink.

2 Likes

Wiring is coming together. I am not using any switches since I’ll be using a Lithium ion battery with a cut off switch built into the batteries BMS. The battery leads will be 4AWG. For now installed 8AWG and will use my hex batteries to set up motor directions/make sure everything is working.

3 Likes

Here’s my wiring now complete!

6 Likes

Great wiring job!

How do you reach it to turn on?
My view is all motors have the potential to start up in a runaway condition - electric or ice - and thus should be only powered up while wearing it or secured against something that allows it not to move. Even with my electric bike motors I use caution and always try to have the brakes on just in case! very unlikely some will happen but I just dont want to be the one it happens to.

It’s a low voltage cut off switch that can be installed anywhere so I’ll install it on the gooseneck bars probably, will definitely be testing it many times before I put props on. It should be fine to have two safety’s to shut power off, the switch plus the remote has it’s own start up safety.

1 Like