Are you using a PPG Helmet?

Are you guys using a PPG helmet with the classic noise protection earmuffs when flying with the OpenPPG?

If no, why ?

1 Like

I was going to post this same question, interested to know what people are wearing for helmets and ear protection?

This is the setup I fly with
Helmet:

Headset:

Radio:

Radio adapter: Amazon.com

Likes: Lots of flexibility. I didnt have to cut or drill anything. I added some velcro to the top my helmet to keep the headset from sliding around and it all feels very secure. Each piece feels rugged. Changing radios is a breeze, just plug it in. Also the headset comes with a built in PTT (push to talk) button and a aux in for music.

Dislikes: It’s not as cheap and simple as Id like. While it’s nice being flexible sometimes managing the wire and bulky headset makes it hard to just put it on and fly. Also it doesnt support bluetooth out of the box or a dedicated mic connection out to a GoPro.

Bonus: For tandem flights I throw this into a pouch and connect another radio to it so the pilot and passenger/trainee can chat, no button press required to talk locally. It supports a dedicated mic-out line and VOX controls but its all a bit pricey.

4 Likes

So far I’ve flown with the bicycle helmet I use for paragliding. No ear protection. Compared to a two stroke it’s very quiet and I’ve not gone far enough to need a radio.

This is what I fly with:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYALHO2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPCHFYU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C81V16K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had to “Dremel” a good bit of material out to make the 3M Peltors fit properly, but it worked out great.

As I recall, Kyle Mooney’s helmet build that he did with Josh was the most helpful one that I watched.

2 Likes

Hi. I’m new to this sport and am just about to buy the last two pieces of essential equipment: helmet and reserve. I’ll not muddy the topic by asking questions about the reserve but focus on the helmet.

A couple of years have past since the reply post by 1066, so I’m hopeful that there is more to be said by more members. I’m not discounting the comments of 1066, in fact those comments and the provided links have helped a ton! Thanks! I’d like to tap the experiences of many pilots. I’m sure the offerings of helmets and available tech has increased since 2020.

I’d especially like some insights about communication tech; which are deemed “must haves” and which can be opted into later.

A DIY solution is appealing to me but so is spending a bit more to get a product that has built in solutions for the here and now, as well as into the future as additional tech is being considered. I appreciate that there can be a huge price chasm between DIY and full blown!

How about fully enclosed with face shield or an open design mountain bike helmet with goggles when needed? I live in Utah and I plan to fly the cold, when I can.

My gut tells me that I’ll likely go the budget route and upgrade once I have some experience. I may end up with two helmet solutions, summer and winter. That said, I certainly would appreciate the input from others. Thanks.

Jeff,

I still love my helmet. If I had to change anything, I probably would have bought the MIPS version…it’s just a newer protection technology.
One of the best things that I have added is an iCOM IC-A16B Bluetooth aviation radio. It connects seamlessly to the Sena…as does my phone. It is a good setup for me.

That being said, we have a multitude of options and price ranges now. Too much to choose from! Hopefully some of the other pilots out there will tell you what they are using.

Bill

Like 1066 I’ve added an aviation radio but have an older icom a14 i purchased used. The giro bike helmet i use has ear cutouts my Dave Clark headset fits into nicely. I bought the adapter to plug it into the a14

I feel the bicycle helmet is sufficient but doesn’t keep my head warm in the winter. Flying the X4 on four batteries for 10-12 minutes is not a problem in what you call the Pacific northwest. For longer flights the sp140 can do, in a midwest winter, a ski/snowboarding helmet and goggles would be much better I think.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.