Anyone fly with 8 batteries?

I’ve been thinking I want to fly with 8 bonka batteries to get that 40-50 minute flight time. I know that this will put the total weight at around 60 lbs, but I’ve flown with motors that heavy and I can handle it.

One thing I’m wondering about it how to attach 8 bonkas to OpenPPG – has anyone done it? Please post some pics! :slight_smile:

I just weighed my 2 battery Bonka pack. It weighs 12 lbs. - multiply times four and you have 48 lbs. Add in the weight of the frame/cage/motors/harness and you’ll be up around 72 lbs. I would guess. As heavy as a gas powered ppg with fuel in it, but manageable.

1 Like

There is plenty of space on the lower frame for four more batteries…or if your going cross country
drop off another four ready charged at your halfway landing site and fly back with a fresh set or get your flying companions to carry a battery each,may have to bribe them with some beers of course

3 Likes

Love your battery box! Make another one and try to attach both at the same time :wink:

Loved your recent flight dpack. Is a 8 battery flight in your near future?

That’s the plan!! I’ll post when I’ve completed the setup

2 Likes

Did you get around to this?

He sold his unit.

Hmmm, so much for me trying to keep track of things going on here! :grinning:

I don’t think things went well for him at the Palm Bay Flyin.

That wasn’t me that was @Dario I still have my unit

I haven’t yet figured out a way to mount eight batteries while still maintaining the capability to fold it up yet. I’m thinking about using the rail system that @gliderpilot developed

Great to know - now I am know I not going too senile yet!