6s v 7s batteries

I ordered 6s Bonkas for my batch 4. The reasoning was that the charger options are much wider and less expensive. So I have 6s chargers as well.

Still waiting for the batteries (over 2 months now:cry:) but I have my Batch 4 kit and assembly is underway. Iā€™m not a big guy - 170lbs (77kilos) and Iā€™m not looking for a skyrocket climb rate. May be OK. I do however live in a pretty mountainous area so I may have to go to the larger props at some point.

1 Like

The efficiency column you are quoting is the total system efficiency, including the prop.

You cannot make a conclusion on this that a throttle or duty cycle of 55-60% is the most efficient for the motor and ESC.

If you changed the KV of the motor to achieve a lower throttle %, I suspect you would have approximately the same efficiency (thrust / watt) for a given amount of thrust. In other words, I think the prop efficiency dwarfs any differences in losses of the motor based on duty cycle.

Charts like this are helpful for comparing props at a given speed, but you canā€™t make conclusions on the duty cycle from it.

I agree. The motor manufacturer charts arenā€™t good ā€¦ How can you have constant 48 v with a load?
That is why I have my own calculationsā€¦ and a different efficiency %.
I used real live numbers from GliderPilot with 66000 mAh batteries and KV180 motors with 12S.
For the propeller I used the Xoar PJN electric (same as the Gemfan) and the 23x13 it is a APC electric wide blade.

7590 gram thrust each motor is for level flightā€¦
12980 g thrust each motor is for climbingā€¦

OpenPPG with 22x10 prop / KV180 / 12S

OpenPPG with 22x10 prop / KV150 / 14S

OpenPPG with 23x13 prop / KV150 / 12S

OpenPPG with 22x10 prop / KV150 / 12S

To compare 12S and 14S you have to look at the wattage use!

OpenPPG%20720

I didnā€™t compare the KV150 12S with 22x10 because they donā€™ have the thrust like the other combinations.

We will see in the future how these numbers compare to real life since the Batch4 can
record the telemetrie data on a SD card.

1 Like

Did you or your friend try to use 2 x 7s setup?

Should it not stay cooler as it has nearly 20% more amperehours ?

I think thats one of the big + of the x4 possibilities?