25% power near end of flight

I recently had my 5.6 firmware controller updated to 5.9 (latest available for SAMD21 chip) and updated my ESC to V2 firmware. Overall, I’m really happy with the improvements in that update, but I noticed something unexpected on the 2 of 2 flights I’ve had on it: somewhere around 80V, it seems like full power drops to 25%-ish.

Prior to the update, I used to consider down to 78V usable with 76V being imminent cutoff. Even down to 78V I used to be able to get 7-8 kW in Chill mode. Since the update, once I drop below about 80V, full power is less than 2 kW in Chill mode. I suspect that this is a programming setting, as the drop seems pretty abrupt in that it goes from maybe 10 kW to 2 kW without any intermediate reduced full throttle output.

In the photo, I’m at full throttle only drawing 1.8 kW. Is this happening to anyone else? Is this a programming decision, and if so, what are the parameters? The ESC configurator lets you select 25% power as a limit exceedance parameter, but this is not currently selected for any of the limits so I’m a little confused. I understand that max power is less at the end of flight vs beginning of the flight, but I’ve never seen it this aggressive and it seemed to correlate directly with the 5.9 controller/2.0 ESC update.

1 Like

Curious. I am not running the same firmware as you but I remember a few discussions prior where people expressed that they didnt like the " hard cut " when the bms cuts off due to low voltage. I suspect the behavior you describe might be a new feature that prevents you the battery from totally cutting out and puts you into this limp mode essentially so the battery wont hard cut.
I am speculating. I could try the update myself since I’m on 5.4 firmware and see if it changes.