14S16P Li-Ion Battery

Alright fresh off the boat from China is my lithium ion battery from Chris at VeConcepts. It’s lighter then I expected and i’m super happy they built a case for it with screen on the back to display battery percentage. It came with fireproof bag for charging/transport. Has a secondary plug for charging so I could leave it on the paramotor during charges. Uses Anderson 350amp plug, with 4 gauge wire. I asked them to provide an extra anderson plug and wire to connect to the openppg which they did. I purchased a charger from them as well, it’s a 300W charger. There is a JST connector coming out of the battery that goes to a board, i’m not sure what this is, will find out. I was expecting to see a battery disconnect switch of some kind that I could wire up front to kill power but I do not see that. Battery dimensions are 29cmx33cmx11cm weight 30.2lbs, It looks like the hard case around the battery under the blue wrap is made of fibreglass.

6 Likes

Update, the battery has bluetooth so uses your phone for showing the specs of battery! The power is also controlled by switch in the back of battery, so there is no voltage going through leads until button is turned on. The battery is completely sealed so it should be fine if any moisture gets on it.

4 Likes

Looks good! Now what was the price point? :stuck_out_tongue:

Battery $1750 USD
Charger $75 USD
Shipping $265 USD
Duty $108 Can

1 Like

Looks awesome! A remote power switch would be really nice. Maybe that is what the JST connector is for?

It’s for the Bluetooth chip. I think I’d have to take apart the battery and extend that silver button on the back for a cutoff switch. Having it this way makes it easier to remove the battery having less connections. Plus the throttle safety seems to work super well, would be very difficult to arm the system on accident.

1 Like

What kind of flight times are you expecting with this battery?

I’ll let you know when I know! But hoping for 35 min. Everyone else is using 12s this is 14s so I don’t know if higher voltage makes a difference or not in flight times.

1 Like

Looking forward to it!:+1:

Just guessing, but the JST connector probably has 15 connections? one for ground, and then one positive for each cell.
Can you confirm that?
If yes, this is for charging and balancing.

My 13S15P Setup with Lithion Ion 18650 cells got too hot on my very first flight, so as you are probably aware, I built an aluminum case with fans for active cooling. I am afraid that this may happen to your battery as well, as it is tightly sealed.
I will be extending my battery to 13S20P within the next few days, to ease off power consumption from the individual cell on full throttle as an additional measure to keep the battery safe and operational for a long time.

I like the Anderson connector though, much more decent than the RC Pro Plus connectors that I used…

Chris says my battery should stay cool as it is overbuilt for the openppg specs. I’m sure full throttle non stop would overheat. Time will tell how it really works.

I’m not sure what cells they used though as they said it would be Samsung 25r. These are 2.5ah cells but this battery is 14s16p and 55ah which means each cell is 3.5ah. Unless they got the info wrong on the sticker.

The jst connector has five wires not for balance charging as the bms balance charges it. It’s for the Bluetooth adapter that came with. Can’t seem to get it to work though with the Xiaoxiang bms iOS app. It connects but doesn’t show any data.

Yes the Anderson connector is very nice. Just big but it’s a lot of power going through one connection. I’ll be shortening the battery leads as they are too long.

Let us know how it goes!!

1 Like

Configurations: 14s16p li-ion battery
Specification: 52.8v 55ah
Cell type: Samsung 35ET cells
Continuous current: 200A
Peak current: 350A

The power switch you could remove from the battery case and run it somewhere else to your remote or something to turn the battery power/kills switch on/off, But this first battery its mounted in the battery

Battery pack is weather resistant for rain, and the on/off switch, and backlit LCD are also waterproof.

It should work well!

2 Likes

Hmmm, see my reply here… At full throttle we are over 300 amps discharge…
There will be a huge voltage drop at full throttle - which could engage the BMS.
With 4 x 22000 Bonka’s we have 1100 Amps continuous current…
Hope it will work out for you!

Based on the C rating you should be able to draw that much current from the Bonkas but that is far from reality. When I fly level flight I draw only between 120 to 140 amps. After 25 minutes of level flight the packs get up to 55 Celsius. Lipos should never be taken above 60 Celsius. If you ever pulled 1100 amps from four Bonkas you would have serious problems to deal with.

I think the battery from Chris might be pretty equivalent to 4 Bonkas because the specs from Chris are probably more realistic. Anxious to find out.

All setup now and ground testing done. Seemed to be no issues. Pushed to about 80% for few min and battery was at 16°c with temp gun. I need to get android phone so I can read data off the bms via Bluetooth, it should give me more accurate readings of battery specs. Ready to fly next nice day and with some help from paramotor friend for first flight.

5 Likes

Looks like another great build and… wow, now you can really see the dimensions of the connectors. These are real beasts!
Good luck on your maiden!

@VeConcepts and @dzubot do you have thermistors (temperature sensors) inside, inbetween the individual cells built in and controlled by the BMS?

You say the battery had 16°C , but that’s measured on the outside of the case, which may be a big difference to the inside.

When my BMS shut down the battery pack at 65°C after a 9 minute flight with 80% throttle, the outside was not warm at all (I insulated the battery with foam rubber and stretch wrap) but the inside measured 65°C.

I just don’t want you to destroy your battery or even have it catch fire due to a thermal runaway on your first flight!!!

I am at far no expert, but I spent a lot of time reading everything about Li-Ion batteries, this forum here plus the experience from my own tests - which lead me to spend another 700 Euro on an aluminum case with active cooling and another 5 parallel groups to be added soon to my pack.

Just because the OpenPPG demands so much power…

Appreciate the concern. I’m hoping it does. Picking up friends old android phone today so I can see the bms readout, this should tell me the internal battery temp when flying and each series voltage.

@dzubot, Any new updates on the battery testing? Have you had the opportunity to flight test it yet?