What happens if ePPG ditches in salt water?

Phil,
I think ultimately the battery tech (batteries that don’t burn easily…similar to LIFE batteries) will be the answer…but for the time being, I believe as you do…It is better to fly with an imperfect release system than to fly with lipo batteries “fixed” in place.
Bill

1 Like

I guess it depends on what you call “easily” but LiPo batteries don’t burn “easily”. They have to be abused in some way. In flight on an X4 I just don’t see those Bonkas getting hot enough to thermal runaway unless you get a short. If a cell becomes unhealthy I’m certain you’d see it on your chargers before it got really bad.

When those new Tesla cells or the solid state cells start becoming affordable, I’m in!

That’s only true if the pilot is very light and very careful with the throttle. if someone flies like with a ppg and is heavier it is completely different …

I was really referring to the situation where the battery has a “run away” short. You are correct…if you are “kind” to the lipos and follow a few simple rules…and they don’t get damaged, then they should stay healthy for many cycles. Mine look and perform like new, but I have a release system for the remote possibility that a cell develops a short…if nothing else it gives me peace of mind while flying. Eventually, I will upgrade the lipos to a more energy dense…but more stable/ safe tech. LIFE batteries are not the answer…I was just using them as a reference. Thanks. Bill

I’m 70kgs and typically launch at full power and hold it there for 3 - 5 minutes. Four Bonka 6S. They’re just not overtaxed at all. Flying the Batch4 150KV motors on 12S LiPo is probably helping to keep the amps down.