Trike mount question

I will buy one!

I think Iā€™d be all over getting one if they came out soon! :slight_smile:
Iā€™ll carry it on top of my 5th wheel trailer on my full-time travels! It should be light enough to easily hoist up and strap down!

Still a little while out.

Waiting with anticipation! :slight_smile:

So, you havenā€™t started :rofl:

Are you guys still planning to make a trike for the SP140?

Ya want to make something different then the other ones that are out there, like I could make is like all the other designs and just focus on making it adorable if thatā€™s something people would want?

Maybe Iā€™ll make two versions one basic one like others out there and a deluxe version (would be a tandem setup with power wheels)

2 Likes

I thought tandem wasnā€™t feasible with the sp140 motor?

Go, Paulā€¦you dah man. lol

Keep us posted

Ya on current setup itā€™s not ideal, with a few changes it would be a good tandem setup.

2 Likes

Three things Iā€™d do if I ever built my own trike -

1. Adjustable Ground Angle - Mostly the prop thrust angle is dead level, or worse slightly upward. It would be better to be 12-15 degrees downward. See Miroā€™s video at Scout on the whys of thatā€¦ I say adjustable because hang test will point to one ā€˜bestā€™ while actual flight experience will prolly indicate a better ā€˜bestā€™.
  2. Caster Steering Angled Front Wheel - Why not have the trike tend to follow the wing as a default direction? Yes there are scenarios where the PIC will actually steer differently, but mostly not. Follow the wing to reduce tendency to rollover.
  3. I really like my Retracta Trike. From the way it assembles, ease of motor mounting, and of course retracting the front wheel for a more ā€˜foot launchā€™ experience in flight sometimes.
    My $.02 and worth every dollar.
    And a fricking front fender. :slight_smile:

Yesterday at the Salton Sea, I saw on the ground only, Chad Bastainā€™s [TrikeBuggy Tandem Bullet V2.1](https://) (I assume) with the SP140 mounted on it. He said the SP140 frame mounted easily to the Trike. The mount itself looked very clean to me. He only weighs around 140 lbs, but has taken lighter trainees up tandem. One look at me, and he knew he could not take me up ( Iā€™m currently around 230 lbs), but said he thinks I could fly a PPG trike solo fine with the SP140. He said it has as much power as a Moster (185 I assume).

Chad did describe to me an event he had earlier that sounds like the BMS shutting down the system (limited knowledge for me here). He thinks he was at about 50% voltage with the large battery, and went to full power quickly, while flying tandem, and the power shut down. He managed a safe deadstick landing. Sounds like it could have been challenging at this very crowded flying event.

I donā€™t have any affiliation with Chad or TrikeBuggy (he is an instructor, and sells them). Years ago, I met up with him at El Mirage to check out his TrikeBuggy and TrikeBuggy Delta for hang gliders ( Delta version not available new any more). I really like the TrikeBuggys for their material, sturdiness and multi functions, as you can kite buggy with them too.

1 Like

1 Like

Hey thanks for sharing! The trike looks pretty good. Wish we were there!

You guys running tandem setups should consider dual batteries. Iā€™ve never flown tandem but how noticable is the difference from a 150lb passenger to a 200lb passenger?

The second battery would provide considerable protection from hitting the BMS hard cut when under 50%.

Chad mentioned he would like to try adding a second large battery to his setup.

If I do an Econversion ā€“ I will try to build a pack sized for circuit practice - 5 takes offs is my goal, with 3 mins to fly the circuit - and 20% remaining for a safety out - I think that would be an reasonable pack.
I have no idea how to calculate that pack!! We need some empirical data and someone smarter than me to run the numbersšŸ¤£
Cheers

hi guys back again in my net wanderings hungry for info about all things sp140 i notice another nice plug and great potential trike conversion from Chad Bastin so cool to see shots of an sp140 showing a nice setup TrikeBuggy Mini-Bullet with the Open PPG Electric Paramotor - TrikeBuggy.com
once again hope you dont mind my posting this stuff here . its just great to know these units are getting out there and in the age of influencers they are going to the right people to help spread the word :slight_smile:

Would be great to have it tandem ready. I have been considering converting my Fly Products Flash Cruiser to electric. SP140 motor and 2 batteries? Maybe need a larger motor but the thrust numbers for the 140 are impressive. What are you thinking for a trike?