SP140 Battery Cycles / Lifespan versus Cost

Those familiar with NKON like bratwurst can you tell me please if I should choose the Samsung INR 21700-40T (40T3) 4000mA 35A Reclaimed or choose a cell that is not reclaimed? What do nkon mean by reclaimed, are they used cells? How do reclaimed cells perform, do they have a shorter lifespan? I was going for Molicell for a 24s 8p pack, but with Samsung 40T I end up 40% cheaper and reading on this community that they are similar I think it’s fine. It’s the term reclaimed that makes me wonder…and also what’s the difference between 40T and 40T3, what’s that mean?

I also use nkon reclaimed cells for simple applications. only new cells for aviation. the reclaimed can mean as an example: the e-cells were connected for e-car in the production factory with an automatic application and laser welding. during the check, inaccuracies were perhaps found or the required torque of the connection was not achieved. these cells are then mechanically separated from the connectors. checked for voltage and then sold as reclaimed to end customers. small spikes of the laser connection can stick to the cells. that is very different. sometimes it’s copper residue or sometimes think hiluminband. You can then use a dremel sander to sand them down to have flat surfaces again. However, I expressly recommend doing this if you are 100% sure that you will not make any mistakes. for example, metal dust from grinding at the positive pole in combination with water can lead to self-discharging of the cells. Basically, nkon sells the very best goods!

Thank you very much! For this project I think I’ll go for 40T3 new cells then.

Chek out Samsung 50S not as low iR as 40T but higher Capacity
“Test Report Summary: At under 10A this is the best performing round cell we can buy. At 10A and 20A it slightly outperforms the Molicel P42A and at 30A they are about equal. The Samsung 50S does run hotter though and the P42A runs at a higher voltage at the start when at high power levels.”

Attention! from such advertising postings. these cells are good. but only if they are used correctly. in an eppg with low efficiency at high speed, it can lead to total battery failure…

I’ll stick with Samsung 40T3 hopping they are in the same league as 40T that are well quoted. This 50S is almost double the price for an 25% increase in capacity, which I ques that comes with a compromise.

In purely mathematical terms, the 50 S has 25% more capacity, that’s correct. but only at low loads. if you compare the two cells in the same number under high load, the advantage is reduced from 25% to less than 10%. for trike or light duty applications the 50 s are perfect. for standard foot start eppg I would stay at 21700 class with around 4 ah.