Some newbie questions about instrumentation, monitoring, PCB

Just starting the learning process here, so perhaps some of my questions may be basic:

I’m hoping to monitor batteries, motor rpm, etc. and display on an LCD screen. Was hoping to buy an out of the box system but I’m not sure that exists. Would prefer to avoid programming code and building from scratch. Is there a plug and play system out there that’s compatible with these motors/batteries?

The PCB-4 unit looks intriguing, but the store says “backordered” and the posts here are from 2019. Who knows the current status? If it is a viable component is there any documentation showing how to hook to the ESC, BMS, along with adding an LCD screen?

If you have an research paths/advice/products, please let me know.

Ben

The system is the controller that comes with the X4 or sp140, depending on which one to want to monitor.
These ECS telemetry protocols vary widely so you won’t find much else out there for the OpenPPG ones.
I’m not sure exactly what you want to display but both controllers already show most of the relevant info. It’s probably easier than you think to simply modify the open source code and assemble your own Arduino with a screen to display what you want.

I’m not monitoring either, but building a custom system for a hang glider. So my original question is the same I think. I’m hoping to display performance and status data on an LCD screen. Are there prebuilt setups out there?

Is there any documentation for this board?

Sure, what do you need? We haven’t put much time into documenting yet but would a basic pinout diagram work?

Well, I have to start learning from ground zero. I didn’t even know what a BMS was a few days ago. Since I’m a senior tech writer at Adobe, perhaps I can help you get docs together. You could use open source Sphinx and git to create beautiful doc quite easily. Could be community/collaborative-driven if you like.

Example: https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/whatsnewdc.html

I’d get the benefit of learning along the way. You’d get docs.

I would appreciate even a basic pinout.

Here’s the relevant pins in the main connector with some quick info. Hope this helps!

2 Likes