Question regarding switches

Greg—
Thanks for your thoughts. What do you recommend as the best way to arrest the arcing?
Dorian

I had gliderpilot’s preload switch 3D printed for me by a local guy for a small fee.

I like it because its one handed operation. “Clear Prop!” Twist the knob a bit, wait for the ESCs to beep then turn it the full 90 degrees. The disadvantage is you need to disassemble the main switch and reassemble with the new knob and wiring.

The other way to go is to wire a resistor through a separate momentary on switch. Hold it down, wait for the ESCs to beep, turn either main switch to on, then let off the momentary. It’s two handed operation but you wouldn’t have to disassemble the switch.

if you don’t want to use a mechanical emergency switch, you can install isolating relays like in the professional eppg area that are controlled by the esc. alternatively there is for people who want a plug on play version that works independently of the esc and devices like the one in the picture. by maytech. regardless of this, it is always advisable to use antispark plug cables as standard for all battery packs.

I’m planning to get a 3D printing of the spark arrestor knob assembly and go from there. Thanks for your info.

Is this Maytech switch just for safety reason when circuit breaking is necessery or it can be used for normal “on-off” arming/powering up the system after the battery cables are plugged?

all infos you can find on the webiste from maytech: https://maytech.cn/de/products/copy-of-mts1810as-anti-spark-switch-with-on-and-off-for-electric-skateboard-mountainboard-ebike-e-scooter

Does anybody have an opinion on the safety of the design of the Maytech MTS2009AS anti spark switch? I bought it from www.elektro-skateboard.de in Germany for €113 to replace the two original red on/off switches. Advantage is that I can put the on/off button itself at a more convenient spot, and the unit has an anti-spark function.

I tested it outside my paramotor while on the ground, and it works. But I didn’t dare to fly with it, because I noticed that the cover is aluminium. The only reason that the cover doesn’t cause a huge shortcut between the plus and minus is that it has Ø12,6mm holes to let the Ø12,0mm poles through, so a gap of 0,3mm and the black anodizing is resistant. With the heavy wires on the poles, I don’t trust the poles to never touch the cover and rub off the black anodizing layer. It will be hell if that shortcuts on your back in the air.

I asked elektro-skateboard for their opinion, but they are another week on holiday.

I would feel comfortable to use the unit without the cover, and all properly packed in isolation material. Didn’t measure the heat generation yet.

Does anybody have an opinion about the safety? I think some are flying with the unit already……

PS I measured the resistance between any of two white letters on the cover (where the black is engraved away), and there you measure full conduction.

1 Like

Any further opinion on the safety of this Maytech electronic switch?? It would seem way more convenient than the 2 manual switches + pre-charge.
I have just incorporated one of these in my X4 then read the above post from Ralph. So far it is working well but I haven’t flown with it because I haven’t yet fitted the harness and props. I am really hoping I will not need to modify it.

1 Like