Paramotor + Trike + Rotary Wing

In which case, I don’t expect an electric PPG would fare much better :upside_down_face:

But an enclosed trike could also have instrumentation which could be run off the electric power supply.

I wonder if it would be useful to have electric motorized wheels on the trike? Would electric motorized wheels provide better coupling with the ground for more efficient takeoff? Or would they simply be redundant in relation to the paramotor, and thus be unnecessary weight?

Many paramotors like the x4 and sp140 just have it built into the remote for simplicity.

My buddy and I ride EUC’s (electric unicycles) that will do 40+ mph and have the power comparable 150cc motorcycle. We have been trying to figure out a way to replace one of the wheels on his trike with the unicycle, but we haven’t come up with anything yet.

I have wondered if using two of these on a trike could be helpful when taking off and landing, but unless you are at really high altitudes I doubt it would help much. You can also get it in 48v so you could run it straight off x4 batteries.
https://www.bing.com/aclick?ld=e8GvyolEnGokG7R8BCZQoASDVUCUxtg0xoHi8gkiXWOB82CEW2amp5U4oDrKBEQZuJloguUx2dTqsFfIDTg-Q_7IQeTZZkMCGJqXi9ZAoSn-IIwzzoNZdQxTw0-yrPvUyPsAxEJZ_656PRSQFBP_ebv1g9nOfK5mhlGZJxNVnzYUfVT2rK&u=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&rlid=ed19ff8e721a18c64de39f87b790535c

Is the remote wired or wireless? Does it have its own batteries?

EUCs are very heavy. Maybe a simple wheel-hub motor could be used on a trike. Or else the paramotor itself is good enough to push it around on the ground as well.

They are wired and powered by a BEC. So power comes from the main batteries.

Here is a picture of the sp140 throttle.

Not the greatest picture, but you can see the screen on the back of this X4 throttle.

Yes they are. The ones that we where trying to find out how to use weigh just over 50 lbs.

Electric Motors are far better than internal combustion in all sorts of ways – but batteries are not such a clear win over combustible fuel. For the same power as a gallon of gas, a battery will weigh far more, and not just at takeoff, which is why the flight times are shorter. A more energy-hungry craft will only make that worse.

The last time I looked (which was not this year, and not checking super-carefully), the problem is that supercapacitors tended to be pretty heavy for the amount of power they held.

If you’re limited by the battery C (how quickly you can draw the power), then a capacitor boost during takeoff (and recharge during flat flight in case you have to climb later) might let you get away with fewer batteries. But if it has to stay on for a minute or two, and that means it weighs almost as much as the batteries it replaces, then you might as well have the extra storage from another battery.

The cost/weight/energy/surge power tradeoffs may well change in the near future, so it is worth watching … but it probably isn’t just a “new tech takes time to integrate” issue.

Could the sp140 mate to retracta trike?