Paraglider self-launching system

Can you send a picture of the motor, interested to see the design.

Very interesting thread! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I also had an APD HV pro ESC burn last year. Lucky I was on the ground!!! My eppg was strapped with a load cell to a post of my house. Scared the crap out of me and my family when it burned. It was a serious fire that I put out with a fire extinguisher. Batteries puffed but didn’t burn as the wires melted off the ESC and stopped the short.

Since then I’ve been successfully flying with the MAD M40 C30 using a flyer 400a Esc (had flyer Create some firmware to lower the acceleration curve to suit larger props). 125cm prop and 18s. I get 20 mins from 6kg of lipo’s in still air.

Cool. I recently received a mad M40. What thrust are you getting with yours?

The original lighter M40C30 version 59kg thrust on 18S using 3 times Turnigy 16ah 12C packs and H30F prop R-EZ-04-2 / A2 And Flyer 400A ESC with modified firmware for lower acceleration.

The temp of motor seemed fine until I put a temp probe right into the windings. After 3 minutes at 50+ kg the windings get to 100C. They quickly cool once throttling down. 59kg is more than enough thrust for me so it’s quite usable but temp could be a limitation for heavy climbs and or heavy wing loading. The Flyer 400A ESC doesn’t get hot and seems good for the price but you don’t get any data from it.

The second M40 C30 https://mad-motor.com/product/mad-torq-m40-c30-pro-kv43/

I also have this one but haven’t had time to test it.

Ok cool. I have that bigger one. I was hoping it would keep cooler than the small one. Haven’t gotten around to testing though.

2 Likes

Sorry if I can’t read a so long topic…I’m very interesting in @bratwurst wonderfull project (powered advance harmess), but i can’t understand an aspect: If you install an engine in the back-bag of the free-fly harness, during the fly, the weight of the engine will load on your shoulders…Is it tollerable ?

I mean: the biggest difference between the freefly and the powered fly are the paramotor’s arms, wich unload the weight of the engine, but they make you lose the feeling of your wing. How is it possible to solve this compromise ?

the easiest way is to read postings from people who have been building eppg for thermals for years. you can find them on facebook and partly on youtube. here in this forum it would be wrong to give an explanation of how to properly build eppg for thermals the topic here is about the openppg project.