How about offset propellers motors?

I’m surprised to learn that the netting causes so much resistance, with that in mind it must also cause turbulence to hit the props (and additional noise). Has anyone actually flown their X4 without the net… is there a discernible difference in noise or efficiency?

It’s disappointing to hear that counter-rotating props are so noisy, is that still the case vs 4 props? (I can understand it being louder than one!) Does it make much difference to distance them? Torque-steer-free flight has been an unexpected delight, so finding the best way to achieve this is still a priority for me.

I’m a big fan (no pun intended) of the X4 design, for the aforementioned reasons. Since owning one, torque-steer has become so much more apparent whenever I go back to flying my old machine. I’d love to try a four-way un-pluggable folding-props set-up, adapted for the X4, so I could possibly do away with the netting… I do however suspect it would be necessary to up the cage-size for it to still be effective. I dread to think how easy it might be to catch a line during a collapse, with these extended prop shafts, but then nothing we do in the sky is without risk.

that counter-rotating props are so noisy, is that still the case vs 4 props?

Well - compared to the 4 prop, a twin concentric contra rotating setup will likely be quieter and overall lower in pitch. There would be two props making sound, with a possible “beat” if they’re free rotating, plus a secondary harmonic two times the rpm (from the trailing propeller intersecting the wake of the first). Could be entirely acceptable. Like a lot of speculation - someone might just need to build one to find out.