Hang Point test am I doing it wrong?

@tatawaki How are you getting on with the hang angle - what solutions worked for you?
Cheers!

If you cant get the shorter swing arm sets, move your battery under the seat to the traditional gas tank area. Like this

This is the only modification I did to get my hang point back in the adjustment range of the swingarm. I weigh 155lb.

1 Like

Would love to know if the newer arms ever got made and confirmed to work with lighter folks. I’m 145-150 and just ordered an SP140… Just now seeing this thread and am a tad concerned.

I’m not moving the battery… 75% of why I’m excited about this setup is the weight being high and centered making it so much more maneuverable and better to handle on the ground. That was my experience with the X4 and it was revelatory compared to my Moster setup.

2 Likes

Wow neat idea - Did you move the motor and ESC closer, or leave them where they were?
Also, did you need a longer battery cable?
I’ll have a play around and see what works…

How do you find handling on the ground?

I did not move the ESC and motor any closer, this is because I didn’t want to bring the prop much closer to the cage, I like the distance from the cage and know that under launch the lines could deflect the cage back, and also that under full thrust the prop can flex forward. I think moving the motor closer by cutting 10-15mm off the stand offs as has been recommended in other posts is ok, but to me it didn’t seem like it was going to make anywhere near enough of a difference for me to actually get a proper hang point just by moving the relatively light ESC and motor forwards.
The elephant in the room was the big honkin battery so far behind my back. I did not “need” a longer cable, I was able to run it like that with the original cable turned 90 degrees and rerouted, ut it left the posibility to snag the wire and break the pins on the ESC. So after a few tests with it in the vulnerable position, I did but some more QS8 connectors and some high flex 4awg wire to extend the cable.

As far as handling it on the ground, Skivvie is right, it is clumsy to handle on the ground. The weight down low puts a lot of strain on my shoulders, pulling them backward. I find I have to hunch forward with the paramotor on my back to put more weight directly on my back rather than all on my soulders.

With that said, it’s about the same as my Gas unit with a full tank of fuel, so I didn’t find it too anoying.

As far as how it flies? I can’t actually comment if it flies any different with the weight down lower, because I was never able to fly it with the battery in the original location. It was not possible to get any sort of reasonable hang point at all. So I have only flow it ( about 18-20 hrs ) with the battery permanently installed in the gas tank location. My opinion of the flight dynamics with the battery relocated is that it’s good, No issues or noticeable deficiency in the flight characteristics. But again, it could be 10% better with it high up and central to your back, I just wouldn’t know I never tried it.

I would like to try some of the light weight pilot bars when they are available and relocate my battery back up.

1 Like

Very comprehensive reply thank you!
I’ve put shorter standoffs for the motor, but as you say it’s not made that much difference, and 2/3 of the weight is the battery. If I can get shorter swing arms, I think that’s my preference, as long as they don’t interfere with my arms too much, but good to know strapping the battery lower is a viable option.

It’s not the best setup but I’m at the angle I need.

1. shorter stand offs
  2. longer shackles
  3. bent arms from @Pdwhite (I always bang/bruise my elbows on the flare)
  4. front mount reserve
  5. harness in full upright position.

Might try lowering the battery eventually. but for now, just need to get my seat time.

Thanks, I’ll try it with these suggestions - what length longer shackles did you go for - 45mm?

@glydrfreak, do you think the Iris arms would help this situation?

Yes, 100 times yes for the Iris arms. I still have one or two extra positions to move my hang point further back and I’m 165 lb.

I’d watch out for extending the battery cable. These cable is actually already pretty long inside that pack as it runs all the way down the length of the pack. Longer wires will cause voltage spikes and can damage the ESC. Although these ESC’s so far seem way more robust than the ESC’s on the X4. I don’t know if I could ever stand having the battery that low. That would kill my back.

Guess I’ll be ordering some of those after all… we’ll talk off board. Maybe I could come up and do a hang check with my scrawny ass haha. Agreed with the lower position, as stated that’s a huge reason I’m ditching my Moster setup, my back can’t take it, but the X4 felt amazing.

Here is my rational behind moving the battery.

A: Yes, it is less comfortable when ground handling the machine, But really I only have to ground handle the machine at my launch site very little. In the air there is no comfort difference having the battery lower. So I am ok with a sacrifice of 5 minutes of comfort and then it’s allright once I am airborne. I can still no-wind launch on a hot humid day so it’s not that bad a comfort issue that it prevents me from getting launched.

B: Compared to Tatawaki’s solution, the battery move is one step rather than 5 steps, requires buying some parts like the longer shackes and bent arms, requires modification to the standoffs, that’s like a whole day of modifications to comple. The battery move is one thing and that is it, your hang point will be fine. Even the longer cable is technically optional. You can use the regular length cable but I didn’t like that it was vulnerable that way.

C: Several people brought up the voltage spikes on the longer wire, but I just don’t believe it is actually an issue. I will hook up my O-scope to the ESC and record a couple full power runs to settle the debate. I would be surprised to find anything more than 4-5 volts above the nominal pack voltage.

1 Like

Do you have a link for the Iris arms please?

You’ll have to reach out to Dmitri to order those. Send me a message and I can send you his contact info.

yeah 45mm: Self-locking tack shackle - Dia 6 mm | Wichard Marine

1 Like

I was the original supporter of the battery move mod. But have since settled for the battery back in the stcok location and about 1.25" of hard foam behind the chest and lower back area of the harness.

This provided similar forward lean angle compared to moving the batery but was easier to accomplish and allows me still the convenience of removing the battery for transport.

1 Like

Deleted my previous post. After reading thru the other thread it is clear that my question was moot. (Gonna try the Velcro-webbing spacer idea).