Chargers and Charging

This is the smartest way to go. Easy of use instead of charging each battery.

Imagine just getting home and plugging it in to the wall then your done instead of charging up to 6 different batteries

The only thing with that charger is you still need a power supply. An AC/DC charger would be the most convenient and more cost-effective, I’m currently trying out this these ones

There are a few drawbacks to keeping all the packs in a certain size case. One being versatility and the other being cost. Ultimately it would be nice in the future, but then you need to get two different sets of batteries for different weights ranges. Right now I’m working on a case that will universally except different battery type and setups. Then again it’s not going to be perfect for any of the setups because it’s trying to accommodate all of them.

I have used an adaptor before to balance charge 2x 6s battery split charged through a single 6s charger. As far as I know, you do not get a true balanced charge.

It would be ideal to put in a single plug and charger but you would need a minimum of a true 24s balance, would it not?

Graupner make some chargers which have been recommended, but I don’t fully see their advantages over my dual charger at 1/4 the price.

https://www.graupnerusa.com/AC--DC-CHARGERS_c_127.html

Or products like this permanently mounted to make a single group battery pack. Is that the plan?

BMS

CHARGER

If we order a paramotor with batteries from openppg, Will we get a way to charge them as well or is this something we need to find ourself?

That charger would be super slow to charge.

The plan is to have a BMS for safety but to to charge though.

We will either have an add-on or a few recommended chargers that we have tested and work well.

1 Like

Yeah, with the one I linked from Amazon, you do need some DC input - but I’m sure we can find something relatively cheap. When I look at the others, I’d take 1 charger for a full 12S pack with balancing at 1350W vs having to split across multiple 6S chargers and/or a 350W charger - which would be 4x slower.

Could just buy a DC supply like this:
https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1500W-62A-24V-switching-power-supply-24v-adjustable-voltage-ac-to-dc-power-supply-for-Industrial/32809554392.html

I’ve seen these used on ebikes. The display can be quite informative with individual cell voltages, amp draw etc.

AliExpress

@Pdwhite, Do you have any feedback on the 1200 Watt charger that you mentioned you were testing? That’s the one I’m leaning towards buying.

https://m.it.aliexpress.com/item/32830445496.html

Ive never tested the one you linked but Im sure it works fine and will fulfill its purpose as a charger.

I charge my Tattu 6s 22000mAh with a 1000 W 30A charger, powered by a 24 volt 1200W 60A power supply…

My batteries could be charged with 1C-3C max 5C…

If I charge only with 1C the 22000mAH 6s pack it is already charging with 22 A = witch equals to 1 hour charging. If my power supply had only 12 volt it would need double the time.

If my charger model is on sale i would buy a second one to charge two 6s 22000mAh packs in 1 hour.

“NEVER USE THE CHARGER UNSUPERVISED”

1 Like

To have an idea as to how powerful your charger has to be…

Wattage is calculated by measuring the voltage and amperage of a circuit and then multiplying them together:

Watts = Volts * Amps

If you want to charge a 22000mAh 6s pack at 1C. How many watts does that require? We know the voltage of the battery and the 1C charge rate is 22A.

Watts = 6s * 1C = (25.2V) * (22A) = 544.4W

So the charger will be outputting at most 544.4W. I say most because the voltage of the battery is changing the whole charge cycle. It will likely start in the mid 22V range and will finish at 25.2V. So in order to calculate the max wattage needed, I use the max voltage involved.

My future additional battery pack will be a Tattu 6s 28000mAh x 2 - to charge these in 1C mode and in one hour you would need a charger with ( 6s*1C = 25.2V * 28A= 705.6W ) at least 705.6 watt and 28 A per channel!

In conclusion the wattage plays a crucial role in charging. Don’t forget to take it into account as you choose your charger and power supply.

You can also charge your lipo pack with 0.5C or 0.2C in the case you have a less powerful charger!
It just needs more time…

Don’t forget “NEVER USE THE CHARGER UNSUPERVISED”

3 Likes

Wouldn’t you be better off using the Van’s motor to be charging your batteries… Using a cigarette lighter plug to power supply>>>>120volt out to regular Li-Po battery charger— solar would be too slow IMO

(and keep them close to the door so you can pull them out if they start burning)

Never charge batteries w/o being close by

I’ve been in love with my BC168 since I got it. It can parallel charge 6S batteries at 8A per cell from only the balance leads.

If you charge 2 x 22000mAh 6s batteries with your charger parallel you would need 10 hours…
Should be great for smaller lipo packs.

Have any of you guys considered the DC-input chargers? They seem much higher power:
https://www.rotorquest.com/icharger-1601/icharger-4010-duo-high-power-charger-max-1400w-per-channel-101487.html

The problem with DC is finding a power source that is powerful enough and isn’t super expensive. I bought 2 500W DC chargers and I hooked them up to a 12V 1000W ATX computer power supply that I modified (very common application in the RC community). My chargers support the 12V DC input just fine but to take full advantage of their 500W capability I think I will need a 24V input. They work fine with the 12V input just slower.

My chargers are ISDT SC-620. I’ve seen lots of good reviews on them. $60 each on eBay. I charged my smaller lipo packs with them and I’m happy with them so far.

Right, so why not just pair it with something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B077N592WJ/

Or similarly find a 1000W DC power supply like:

I might buy two of the 500 watt 24V ones like you linked. I would have got the 24V setup in the first place had I known that my chargers would have a lower output with 12V. They are advertised as having 9-32V input but they fail to mention that the maximum charge rate can only be achieved with higher volt inputs. I’m sure other brand chargers are the same way so something to keep in mind.

I think I will still be able to charge in about 2 hrs as is instead of 1 hr like I had planned.