Better cage hoop connecting mechanism

After putting together my batch 3 prebuilt unit, the biggest issue was connecting the cage hoop pieces. It took so much time and effort, it kind of defeats the purpose of the portability of the design. I’ve been told that this gets easier as the hoop pieces stretch, but the amount of force it takes to pull the pieces apart make me nervous I will damage the unit.

So I was thinking… what about the way you connect a microphone to an XLR cable, with a nice clean click that locks it into place and a button (on the inside of the hoop, so it doesn’t interfere with the lines) for when you want to disassemble it.

Can this be adapted to this system? Anyone else have any other ideas to make assembly and disassembly faster and easier?

Just file the plastic down a little till they aren’t so tight and setup will be quick. Even if they are really loose they will be held together well once you tighten the net. Therefore, there is no need for a locking mechanism.

1 Like

That makes sense…

Though something to consider, when this project moves beyond the DIY stage people will probably not want to be doing sanding on parts of a new motor.

But this is what keeps costs down a little.
Cheers

1 Like

I think if you can have assembled and go to fly with an already assembled unit, you will avoid any breaks. I would only use the folding mechanisms if I have to travel long distances. But for everyday and weekend flying I will have my unit fully assembled and carrie with a hitch.

my 2 cents

1 Like

There needs to be a redesign to address the very weak aspect of the Carbon Fiber Arm (CFA) to the Hoop Connector (HC).

The large hole in the CFA is to large and severely weakens the CFA and the CFA to HC connection. It’s large size introduces weakness and a failure point in manufacturing, assembly and operation.

There is a very simple redesign of the CFA and the HC that will greatly enhance the overall integrity, strength and stability of the connection while not changing the size or shape of the red HC.

First, the large hole in the CFA is eliminated and replaced by three smaller holes centrally located in the middle of the CFA in a linear fashion.

The weakness of the large hole in the CFA is eliminated by this redesign.

Second, the single piece red HC is redesigned in three smaller pieces.

A center block that installs between the CFA.
Two outer blocks that screw into the center block thru the CFA utilizing the middle
hole of the three smaller holes in the CFA.

The center block has four female connection points. Two female connections at each end of the center block.

Each of the two remaining HC outer blocks has two male protrusions that connect thru the CFA into two female ends in the center block forming a structurally strong connection.

Each of the outer blocks has a single screw that secures each outer block with the center block thru middle hole in the CFA.

Hence, two of the three smaller holes in the CFA act as connection and alignment holes and the third hole is for the screw securing it all together.

I sent a photo of a hand drawing to Paul Whitehead for his review and assessment.

This has already been addressed and fixed in batch 4. If you have a prior version I have a good fix for that. Replacing all the arms is quite expensive but this is simple, effective, and robust:

1 Like