Battery Comparisons

Ah ha!! Thank you for the clarification sir!!

Purchased two of these: Tattu Drone UAV Lipo Battery

Maybe someone can chime in, but those Tattu batteries have a dischare rating of 18000mah 15c. 18 * 15 = 270 max amps. The OpenPPG nominal current draw is 200 amps, but the max draw is 300 amps. The Tattu batteries actually have a max burst discharge rate of 30c, so 540 amps, but that’s intended just for momentary bursts. So, it may be possible to push those batteries too far if you keep the OpenPPG throttle on full for any extended amount of time, if you’re planning on using just 2 batteries. I’m new to Lipo, so anyone else please correct me if I’m wrong, but for safety (and at least not to kill the batteries as quickly), I think I’d prefer to use 4 of the Tattu batteries.

Ya, those are a bit expensive and are not going to give the best performance. Tattu makes good batteries but those are a bit small and expensive like twice as much and less max discharge current. Just not the most cost-effective battery choice. The built in BMS is cool so let me know how it works out.

Unfortunately, they were the only decently sized ones I could find in stock presently. So depending on how quick the Bonka order is; I may return them.

We are ordering them tomorow, they will be shipping out before batch 2 so no problem there.

1 Like

@Pdwhite - Do you have an estimate for Batch 2 Ship Date?

About a month out from now.

2 Likes

Will the Bonka Batteries be able to be purchased on the website? Or should we order from you directly?

Hi guys if someone wanted to go down the lifep04 route. What spec or kind of info do we need to make the battery last for more than an hour in flight?

I was looking at the Lifpo4 at EvLithuim - 90AH - its in the list above - this is a big pack so I was planning a trike. When you compare trying to get 90AH out of the BONKA’s, I think you need 8 packs, gets you to 88AH at 220$ - 1760$ vs 1440$ of the evlithium 90’s. Then theres the whole more lifecycles of the Lifepo4.
To me it is a better way to go - IMHO
Cheers, Patrick

Hello DanielArnett,
Can you please also put the Tattu 30000mAh 22.2V 25C 6S1P Lipo on your spreadsheet? I just ordered 2 of them. See: Gens Tattu 30000mah 6S 25C 22.2V Lipo Battery Pack With AS150 +XT150 Plug
Thanks Erwin
from the Netherlands

Okay @ebakker the 30Ah Tattus are at the bottom.

1 Like

@DanielArnett Thank you very much :slight_smile:

I used Nissan Leaf 2S 64AH battery modules on my Zero motorcycle rebuild. They have a ridiculously high C rating since they’re A123 style pouch packs. I pull well over 500A from a 1P 14S pack of them with little to no voltage drop.

The one thing about them is that they’re somewhat heavy at 3.8kg/module, but since they’re 2S you can get away with only needing 3 of them for your 6S pack. I’m probably going to build a mounting plate and connectors to my frame so I can use them in addition to standard lipo packs.

1 Like

@Hyperious It makes sense to use what you already have, but FYI you’d need 6 of them. The total system is 12S, it’s just easier to find 6S packs.

ok, well that’s 22kg of battery @ 64AH. I’d be getting new cells as I have the modules on my motorcycle wired into a pretty beefy BMS as-is. I’d also probably invest in a whole-system BMS for this if I went with Leaf modules again too.

I added it in; it doesn’t have quite the current output that OpenPPG needs (nominally 300A continuous). Not saying it’s a dud, but at the present you’d need at least 12 of these modules to meet voltage and current requirements. Possibly if we made a way to limit the max current it would work out, but they won’t perform well against lighter, more energy dense drone batteries.

that link is for the 2010-2012 battery design Nissan used, their newer ones are 64AH+ and rated for 500A+ continuous discharge.

if you get ones salvaged from 2016 vehicles you’re looking at 82AH: https://goo.gl/zUpPyB

still heavy though at 56lb

Hi guys
I built my own stretched limo electric bike a few year ago and surprisingly it worked quite well. I bought the lifep04 battery from a company in china. they ended up making the battery to my needs at the time.

The company website is

http://www.vpower.hk/index.php

I’m certainly not qualified or have any experience with electric ppg but would it be worth maybe contacting them by some more experienced guy? asking the right questions, and maybe they can make us some custom battery packs, at a cheaper rate perhaps if we bulk buy?