Battery choice for lightweight

You need 2 - 4 - 6- or 8 batteries to have the right voltage alt least 2 serial or 2+ another 2 serial parallel or 2+2+2 serial parallel
Max you have space for 2+2+2+2 serial parallel packages.

You cant use 3 bonkas or 150 c 's

Only 2 or 4 or 6 or 8

The watertightness should not be negative,

All batteries are sealed in a way so also bonkas are close together and no air can cool the cells between each other even if they are not stated as waterproof.

Higher c ratings will keep them cooler even if they are not high as predictet.

Hi. The 150c batteries are 12s therefore 44volts so surely you could have 3??

@Andyoptom
No worries, Iā€™m not in a particular rush. I have some other things I need to sort out before ordering.

Agreed you should be considering the C rating, but it should be treated as the max current draw, so for continuous you should be staying well below. Itā€™s basically a rating of the internal resistance.

So for the openppg from what Iā€™ve read, max climb is 80A per motor, x4 thatā€™s 320A. Letā€™s say you are happy with 10C draw at prolonged climb. 320/10=32Ah

Really you need some temperature measurements of the batteries under different loadings. I wouldnā€™t be happy for the battery to go up by more than about 5-10degC. Because the batteries are quite large, the temp in the middle could be a lot higher than that.

Yes as you say I suppose the only way is for someone to buy these batteries and monitor the temperature: I might do that but havenā€™t even got the x4 kit yet! By the way where are you located racitup?

You are right, did not see the 12 s ā€¦

You could ping the supplier or manufacturer of that 12S battery to see what they recommend as continuous current draw.

Do you expect to do prolonged climbs or mainly level cruise? Also what is your weight? Those things will make a big difference to current draw.

Iā€™m near Coventry.

Yes I think I will do that. Iā€™m near Newcastle upon Tyne!

Andy,

Thanks for contacting us. Iā€™ll be happy to assist you with determining the best battery solution for your desired flight goals. I assume that you will be running the two packs in parallel for a 12S 21,800mAh power setup? If so, then a 320A discharge would only be about a 15C discharge rate which these packs should be able able to handle efficiently without any over-heating issue with the cells. That makes these packas a good choice opposed to packs that would be pushed to the max. The key to avoiding heat resistance at 320A will be the wire gauge and connector being used. They need to be rated to handle that load without getting too hot.

What connectors and wire gauge are you using on the Flight system side?

Best regards,

Clint Preston

www.MaxAmps.com

Name: andy

Email: [andrew.optom@me.com ]
Page: LiPo 10900 12S2P 44.4v Battery Pack ā€“ MaxAmps Lithium Batteries

regarding the 10900 12s: I am considering 2 of these for openppg paramotor: this would require 320amps continuously for 5 minutes (for a prolonged full power climb). do you think these could handle that without undue overheating? obviously I would like to avoid any risk of fire while flying! Is there any data you have to test battery temperature rise under high loads?? thanks.

1 Like

Iā€™d be worried about the 12 gauge wire on these batteries, thatā€™s thin for pulling 150 amps (if your running two packs).