Assisted Free Flight

How does the Hobby King 50cc motors compare to the custom wound ones?

Hi @Boyntonstu Though I got a pretty good thrust with my proof of concept build using stock 50cc Hobby King motors I suspect the motors that PDWhite et al have sourced will be a far more efficient solution. Looking back over this thread I notice a comment on how to replace 4x 22’ props you’d need 2x 30’ and that would be “too big”. I just overlapped mine… then it wasn’t too big.

Nice video. Did you ever fly the Hobby King motors? t appears in the video that they produce enough thrust.

50cc and 80cc engines fly OK.

Another option maybe, but this one is for getting up and then the battery are drained.

Has anyone used minimum batteries to keep wieght down and what kind of wing would be required for minimum sink just to get up in the sky not for low flying but fly up kill power and glide around some figures based on most efficient wing pilot wieght would be good I know wind speeds also a factor but some guidance on this would really be appreciated.

I started out flying with only 2 Bonka batteries but they get hot fast which is not good on them (over 60 Celsius). 4 batteries stay under the recommended limit of 60 Celsius but even that wears them faster. I’ve been flying with 6 batteries lately and they barely feel warm at all (just under 40 Celsius).

Thinking 6 Bonkas is the magic number between battery cycle life and weight. What’s the run time on 6? Would you get 30 minutes? That would be about 15kms range over the ground given light to no wind.

I get 24 minutes with 4 batteries and 36 minutes with 6 batteries if I fly conservatively.

Yeah six batteries seems perfect for the flights I have in mind around where I live. That’s nearly 3kwh of total capacity.

I get 32 minutes on six batteries in California, and 22 minutes in Utah. Not sure why my flight times are so low…

That’s interesting! Have you flown a 32 min flight since you got back? What brought you to Utah? That’s where I live.

1 Like

Ok, that’s funny… I just saw you in a video on facebook that a local pilot took at the Cedar Valley Airport!

2 Likes

Too funny, yep that was me at a fly-in near Eagle Mountain.

1 Like

@Pdwhite … what was the reason for 4 motors and props instead of two larger ones? Was it just a matter of what was available cheaply at the time (and might be different in the future), or were there other considerations for safety/symmetry/partial thrust/something I haven’t considered?