Actual flight times -- survey!

15 min on two bonkas is awesome! Were the batteries hot after the flight?

I’ve seen some people say that it’s dangerous to completely discharge the batteries… thoughts?

As I was descending from 350 ft., I had about 2-3% left, I used a bit of power ( maybe 30% ) to maneuver into my landing area. I checked after I landed and it showed 0%, 4.14 V. I think that should be within safe standards.

Does the system stop power if it gets to 0% or does it keep drawing power? I’m wondering if I build a li ion pack if I should install a bms to regulate the battery power or if the open ppg has something already that regulates voltage of packs?

I think Bill meant 41.4V.

When the controller reads 0% each cell is about 3.5V. That’s a safe level to discharge to. Going below 3.2V will ruin the battery.

The system doesn’t stop at low voltage nor would you want it to. I would rather have that power if you absolutely need it at the risk of ruining the battery than to have it shutdown on me unexpectedly. Anything unexpected like that would add a level of danger. It’s not hard to monitor your battery level and land accordingly.

Awesome thanks. This is how I expected it should work. Agreed nicer to have that reserve power just in case.

To answer your question, the batteries were warm after the flight but not hot.

2 Likes

One more thing regarding my 15 minute flight. I did one touch and go, went to 350 ft. and stayed there monitoring my battery life. I tried to manage power as frugally as possible to see how long I could stay aloft. When I added power the battery % might drop from 20% to 11% quickly, but it would return to a higher number ( maybe something like 17%) when I would back off the power.

I have fitted an 8 battery system to a fellow flyers machine

5 Likes

Beautiful!
Cheers, Patrick

Here is how i have attached 2 x 4 battery boxes so you can just use one box for four bonkas or fill the other box with another 4 or just another 2 if you want to fly with 6
Dave

Looks like the average flight time with 4 x 22000 mAh Batteries is 24 minutes…

Current[A] = Capacity[Ah] / time[hrs]

So 44000 mAH = 44 Ah
24 minutes converted to hrs : (24/60)[min] / 60[min/hr] = 0.4

Current = 44Ah/0.4hrs = 110 A

Average Amps in a flight is 110 A

Run_time(min) = Capacity(Ah) / Current(A) x 60min/hr

Capacity: 44 Ah
Current: 110A
Run_time = 44/110 x 60 = 24 min.

Theoretical run time with my 4 x 22000 mAh (9.96 kg) + 4 x 16000 mAh (7.72 kg) = 76 Ah
Current 110A
Run_time= 76/110 x 60 = 41 minutes

Run_time with 8 x 22000 mAh Batteries = 88/110x60 = 48 minutes

Hope this helps…

4 Likes

With a dozen flights on mine and with four bonka batteries I averaged 15 minutes. I just upgraded to 6 batteries and got 25 minutes (woohoo!). I have a power meter now and am tracking my power consumption. I’m assuming because I’m a bigger guy I’m getting shorter flight times than everyone else. Anyone else with similar flight times to mine? Maybe I need a faster/smaller wing???

Specs:
-Total weight (w/6 bonka batteries): 322.25 lbs
-Wing: Mojo4 XL
-Launch Altitude: 1391 ft
-Max Altitude: 2218 ft
-Total Altitude Gained: 2584 ft
-Watt Hours Consumed: 2769
-Amp Hours Replenished (from charger): 63.9
-Flight Time: 25.2 min

3 Likes

I’ve been testing how long I can maintain maximum throttle.

From fully charged down to 42 volts (at max throttle), with six batteries, I am currently getting 11.5 minutes. Using six batteries they don’t get hot.

In that time I was able to gain 1916 feet for a climb rate of 2.84 ft/sec.

Anyone else tracking their numbers?

5 Likes

What is your body weight? Judging by the mojoxl we may be close.

I’m 220 lbs, total weight with 6 batteries, harness, motor, wing, etc is 322 lbs.

1 Like

I’m also about your weight, I don’t have a unit yet, but if we can not change the weight see if you can try it on a bigger wing. The naxt batch is going to have more power and flight time.

The next batch should have higher volts and lower amps. The Watts should be the same so don’t be expecting more power. And bigger batteries give longer runtime but we can already do that… the more battery weight you carry the longer you fly so nothing has changed there.

What will change is the amps will be a little lower through the wires, connectors, ESCs, and the motors and therefore more robust.

1 Like

My Mojo 4 XL is a big, slow, beginner wing. I think it has a lot of drag which impacts my flight times. I am searching for a little better wing to see if my flight times improve.

I don’t typically use full throttle because it puts me over 90 amps per ESC and they are only rated for 80. Plus, I think the climbing efficiency is better with less throttle… basically that last little extra boost of thrust costs a lot in terms of power consumption with little gain.

Today I wanted to see how high I could go with 6 batteries but I wasn’t comfortable flying up through a wind sheer layer. So, I made three climbs (without landing) while holding the amps between 60 and 70. On the final climb I held those amps until the voltage hit 42 and then eased off the throttle to maintain 42 volts until my amps were down around 20. Note: I get level flight at around 40 amps so that last little bit only extended my descent.

My First climb was 6.5 min with 1050 ft gain, second climb was 6.5 min with 1200 ft gain, and the third climb was 3 min with 500 ft gain.

That adds up to 16 minutes of climb with an altitude gain of 2750. Maybe I will try to do just that next time I have more comfortable air conditions.

I weigh 180 pounds and with 6 batteries and everything including the wing I’m at 265 lbs

I fly a medium Skywalk Tequila 4. It’s mountain flying wing with an EN-B rating. The upper certified weight for this wing is only 242 lbs so I’m quite heavy on it with the motor. That’s part of the reason why I feel uncomfortable in the wind sheer because this wing gets quite active flying loaded in turbulence.

2 Likes

Nearly the exact same climb rate with less throttle. I’ll try that and report back!

1 Like