3D Files - Materials - Manual

Hi Paul @Pdwhite,
this is just a friendly reminder, that this needs your attention :slight_smile:

I also have the following questions, that others may have as well?

From looking at the pictures on the website, I can probably tell that
c) the screws/bolts probably fit into the (threaded) aluminum parts
d) yes, there are additional spacers

However maybe you can still clear things up and we can together update a 3D Drawing that would also serve as Manual.

Looking at the parts it seems that

a) the main plates and the lower plates are 2mm thick and all the others are 3mm.

b)It was listed on the specs that the aluminium is 7075 T6 grade.

c) the holes on the models are not threaded for some reason but I believe the holes on the actual parts are threaded.

d) there are spacers/standoffs between everything: 45mm on the arms, 35mm on the lower and main plates and 20mm on the legs.

e) yes that part is missing. Might be 3d-printed.

f)the hinge seems to be held together by a bolt.

Disclaimer:^this information might not be 100% accurate :slight_smile:

Yep thats basically 100% accurate. Holes are just threaded with there corresponding sizes (3mm hole is threaded M3). As far as a manual im going to be doing a build video for all of those who got the kits, and that will be available before kits are delivered. I just dont have the time now or is there a need now to prioritize the manual over other tasks, as no unbuilt kit have been delivered to people. So for a full manual your going to have to wait a bit.

@Pdwhite thanks, yes, focus on the kits please, I will need you when I want to buy the Motors, ESCs, Props and such from you (don’t forget to add that option when you are getting ready to accept orders for batch 3)

@asteronaut thanks for answering the questions, do you mind telling me which software you have used?
As mentioned, I have some amateur skills in Blender, but that isn’t a construction / CAD software :frowning:

I’m using Autodesk Inventor.

thanks, I remember it, I had used that one as well before, just need to refresh my memory a bit.

I can confirm this issue. There is also an issue with the beveling around the aluminum piece.Fusion 360ScreenSnapz002

There also seems to be an issue with the hinge mounting holes for at least the upper arms:
Fusion 360ScreenSnapz003

1 Like

@tombusey may I ask what CAD program you are using? it looks like that I don’t have access to Inventor anymore.

Fusion360. Maybe I get it free because of my .edu email?

Using Paul’s .step files I assembled OpenPPG in SolidWorks, mainly to get more familiar with the model myself.

@Pdwhite

1. Do you have a more up-to-date CAD model of the front and back plates? As Tom Busey mentioned the holes for the arms and for the gooseneck bars are too narrow. If you don’t have the model at hand don’t worry about it, I’ll just move the holes.

2. Could you share the CAD model for these red (3D printed?) parts?

3. Is there an existing Bill of Materials for all of the bolts, spacers and nuts used in the project? If not I could work through the model and put a list together.

4. Can I ask why there are so many holes in the front and back plates? I’m just curious.

Thanks again for making all of this available Paul! @davek79 I made a pull request to the GitHub with the completed Solidworks assembly. I have experience with Solidworks, but if people have a preferred CAD program we can make a version of the model with whatever program people prefer.

Awesome, just got the github Notification. I’ll get on to the merge tomorrow.

Daniel,
Thanks for doing this. I was in the process of converting the .stl files to .prt files.
BTW, what version of Solidworks did you use, 18-19? I wasn’t able to open in 16-17.
Rob

Ok, got it open in 18-19.

Yeah that’s what I used. Unfortunately I only have the student version so I have to stay up to date or I lose access to Solidworks. Don’t use the STL files, use the STEP files that etienne linked above. They import right into Solidworks almost as well as a normal Solidworks part.

Edit: Nice! Let me know if you run into any problems with the model.

@Pdwhite, why don’t you share the latest/accurate models of the parts? We obviously have people who are keen to work on this project and help produce documentation/BOMs etc.and start sourcing parts but it seems rather pointless if we’re one step behind all the time. Isn’t this supposed to be an open source project?

@DanielArnett looking at the renderings the distance between the arms looks a bit narrow. I imagine this is just an effect of the perspective in the rendering. Is this distance correct? I mean, is it based on actual Paramotors? Can a good sized human being fit between the arms? :grinning:

It’s 15.5 inches between the Gooseneck arms.

With the .SLDPRT parts found on GitHub (here), I identified another issue with interference in the parts while hinging the arms. See the image below. I will also open this as an issue on GitHub. Whoever updates the parts on GitHub, feel free to just close the issues I open up.
OpenPPG part interference

Also, if anyone wants to play around with the 3D model assembled to the best of my knowledge, here is a link to it in OnShape. The link should take you directly to the assembly online, no account needed. Onshape

4 Likes

This is perfect guys, thanks for using the github to file these issues. They will be way easier to track by using the “issues” in github, thank you. I’ll update when I get the latest files from @pdwhite. We’ll close as these get resolved.

1 Like

That’s me. Yeah that’s the problem I was referring to. The holes are the root cause of that problem; widen the holes and you widen the red aluminum pieces.