I’m going to keep some notes in this thread while I build the motor unit. I’m building in my small spare time now so this might take a while. Kudos to those that can finish it all in a week. Might be a month for me. I think of this as a bit of a beta test situation so if I sound critical please take it as constructive criticism. I’m super excited to get to the point where I can fly it! It reminds me of the early days of the home PC market, where you ordered a box of parts, followed some photocopied instructions, and hopefully ended up with a working machine. Much like Legos, the building is part of the fun.
One thing I noticed right away is that one of the swingarms didn’t slip onto the pivot point while the other one did. Probably just tolerance stacking in my parts set. Nothing a dremel and some fine sanding couldn’t handle on the pivot arm hole couldn’t solve. Always test fit your parts before final assembly. It gets rid of the great finish on the parts, but since it’s the inside of a hinge so I don’t mind. I’ll add some dry film lube later to handle any roughness and protect against corrosion (on aluminum?).
So far, I’ve assembled one of the lower legs. The plastic end pieces that the cage will slide into are too big and definitely need sanding. Dremel to the rescue again! It’s necessary to sand them just to get it into the slots on the CF sections. I had some difficulty deciding if there was a particular side that should face the inside: the side with the holes or the solid side. After watching the build video I noticed that it was the side with the holes that faces inside. If I had looked at the part more closely I would have noticed the curve on the part and figured it out from there. In one of the parts bags there are little dimple springs (I don’t know what they should be called) that seem like they go inside the plastic parts art the end of the legs and arms. The dimple part would extend past the hole and help lock in the cage hoop sections.
Trouble with that theory is that there are no holes in the cage sections. Should I drill the holes myself? Also, the width of the plastic part makes it impossible to use one of the standoffs that sandwiches the plastic bit at the end of the leg. I used the dremel (I see a trend developing) to sand in a channel in the plastic bit so that the standoff can fit with the holes in the CF panels. In future parts I would say that the CF panels should be made wider so the screw hole can be moved outward and the standoff can fit.
That would also solve another problem. With the head of the screw so close to the plastic bit there is not enough clearance for the aluminum cage section to slide all the way into the plastic bit. I’m probably going to drill a notch into the end of the section so that there is clearance for the screw head.
The black plastic bits are too short to fit 2 of those dimple springs but that doesn’t seem to be a problem. The legs would sandwich that cage section so it would never get removed. It just needs to fit one spring for the outer cage part. However, unlike the red plastic bits, the black plastic bits don’t seem to have the channel for the spring cut all the way through. If I had a drill press I could fix that, but since I don’t it’s going to get interesting.